5-4-3-2-1 - SOL Day 16

Blogger writingandlaughing posted yesterday about using the 5-4-3-2-1 method to anchor yourself when feeling anxious, stressed, etc. To use this method you check out your surroundings and name
5 things you can see.
4 things that you can hear.
3 things that you can feel.
2 things that you can smell.
1 thing that you can taste.

It's a simple exercise, but one that I thought would be perfect to help me overcome the lapse in creativity that I am experiencing today.

I see the light from the evening sun making the room look golden.
I see the dog laying on the couch, in the same spot he's been in all day.
I see a started art project that is waiting to be picked up again.
I see a box full of board games, ready to entertain.
I see my life, my job, and my role in a different way.

I hear my roommate, upstairs, talking on the phone excitedly.
I hear geese out in the yard, defending their territory.
I hear cars passing by; sometimes honking at those pesky geese.
I hear my own thoughts, "It'll calm down tomorrow."

I feel my heart beating faster than normal - too much coffee.
I feel the warm rush of air as the furnace kicks on.
I feel grounded.

I smell the hyacinth that's sitting on the coffee table.
I smell the crispness of the air as the back door opens.

I taste the Blizzard from Dairy Queen that I've been wanting for days. It was worth it.

Comments

  1. I love this! And I may use the format tomorrow! Thank you for an inspiring post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw first saw this format, I knew I had to use it. I'm glad that it inspired!

      Delete
  2. What a perfect way to re-center. I think I might just try it tomorrow.
    Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the golden light of the sunset and the smell of the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that it's perfect, too. I'll definitely be using this method, not just in writing.

      Delete
  3. I like this! I did something similar to this recently, but not in such a nice format. I think I might try this format tomorrow! Thanks for sharing :-) JudyK

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you took this technique and transformed it into a sensory experience for us all. This will be a strategy I try in the upcoming days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really calming to do, and helped me focus on the "right now". I definitely recommend trying it out!

      Delete
  5. I will try this too!!!
    THanks for modeling it so well.
    Enjoy that Blizzard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful way to inspire writing. Thanks you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked how poetic each line was - you could have just said I see my dog, a box of games, the light.. BUT adding the elements of beautiful description made this feel more like a slice! It added more creativity :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This was pretty enjoyable to write. The format made it easy to get a little creative with it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts