An Introduction - SOL 2021 Day 1

Prewrite

Draft

Revise

Edit

Publish

Repeat

I love a good routine. I love step-by-step directions. I love patterns. I love rhythm. I love to know exactly what to expect, when to expect it, and how long I can expect it to last.

I am the person who still tried to use a planner in 2020.

Last year, I tried to plan my Slices. I tried to have an overarching theme so that I never got to the end of the day and thought, "I have no idea what I'm going to Slice about." 

It was a plan, a routine, and it let me know what I could expect from myself.

Then, March 2020 happened. The theme went out the window and I spent most of my revising time trying to make everything seem less melodramatic.

I tell my middle schoolers not to get too ahead of themselves so they don't have to backtrack. 

I tell my students to be patient and trust the process. 

I tell my students to be brave and take risks.

I guess I've learned all of that over the past year, too.

This year, I have no plan going into this. I will be taking it day-by-day...but I guess that's some of the point of it, isn't it?

Day by day, step by step.

Prewrite

Draft

Revise

Edit

Publish

Repeat x31





Comments

  1. I am so not a planner or a routiner, so you made me chuckle when you wrote I am the person who tried to still use a planner in 2020. I love how you began and ended this piece, especially Repeat x31. Let's hope we all find better things to write about this March!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 2020 planner was color-coded and everything - I really tried!

      Delete
  2. I'm right there with you! I agree that 2020 has shaken our routines and made us all students again. I really like how you anchor your main text with the steps of the writing process at the beginning and at the end. Let's see where this takes us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We are teachers and learners all at the same time. It's been a unique experience for sure!

      Delete
  3. Your advice to your students is good to follow. Not easy though. Plans and structures give security. It's much harder with the unknown. Even with years of practice I need to remind myself to trust the process. Day by day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Day by day has been my motto for the past couple of years. Trying to take control of what I can, and let go of what I can't.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts