Maybe It's Maybelline - SOL20 Day 2

A year ago today, I was drinking 3-4 coffees a day. I had a really solid coffee routine down. It looked a 
little something like this:
6:00pm: go to Starbucks and order a nitro cold brew, drink half
7:00pm-1:00am: write lesson plans, grade, work on projects, etc.
5:00am: get ready for school, make coffee
5:30am: leave for school, drink other half of nitro cold brew
6:45am: arrive at school, start drinking coffee that I made at home
11:30am: finish coffee I made at home, go to teacher’s lounge to refill cup
3:00pm: leave school
5:00pm: go to Starbucks and order a nitro cold brew, drink half
Repeat, 5 days a week for 12 weeks.
---

Today, I didn’t have any coffee. That is partly because I woke up feeling pretty nauseous, and all day 
have felt like I couldn’t really stomach it. However, let the record show that I went through an entire 
school day and after school tutoring without caffeine.
This school year (on average) I’ve gotten 6-7 hours of sleep a night. Since coming back from Christmas 
Break, I’ve pretty much been able to keep work at work.
That’s not to say that I don’t still experience stress. Today, for instance, I reached my stand goal and 
my step goal. I wouldn’t even say that the difference lies in how I handle the stress. I think that the 
biggest difference comes from my internal state. I’m much happier, much more fulfilled, and much 
more passionate. No matter how bad one day might be, I still wake up the next day ready and glad to 
go to work. Maybe it’s a symptom of being a peppy first-year teacher. Maybe it’s a symptom of true 
joy. Maybe it’s Maybelline.

Comments

  1. So I wonder what will happen with the coffee tomorrow....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m glad you are able to get up in the morning and feel passionate to go in. That is key in order to being a good teacher! I have probably two to three cups of coffee a day but I think it’s more about what gets you through then the issues with caffeine

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me - never coffee. But Pepsi for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
    Gave up soda and now just a black tea in morning.
    Habits. Definitely something to reflect on as a writer!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts