Mind Over Matter - SOLC20 Day 25

Mind over matter.
Mind over matter.
Mind over matter.

My steady breathing was becoming not-so-steady. My lungs were starting to burn. My legs felt heavier and heavier with each step. There was a cramp starting to form in my side. Focus. Focus.

Mind over matter.
Mind over matter.
Mind over matter.

I kicked a small rock from my path, and I kicked myself for putting almost 2 years between me and my last run. I knew that it would get easier as time went on, but in that moment, it was increasingly difficult with every passing second.

Mind over matter.
Mind over matter.
Mind over matter.

As I started to slow, I whispered prayers of thanks. Thank You for my feet that continue to carry me. Thank You for my legs that continue to support me. Thank You for my lungs that continue to take deep breaths. Thank You for my heart that continues to beat.

Mind over matter.
Mind over matter.
Mind over matter.

I thought about how if things were normal, I wouldn't be outside at 2pm on a gorgeous 60 degree day. I wouldn't be getting back into the habit of something that I had left behind for years. I wouldn't have gotten to see the cardinal on the branch, the children playing in their yard, the old neighbors catching up from across the driveway.


Mind over matter.
Mind over matter.
Mind over matter.

As I finally stepped foot in my own driveway, I smiled. I had done it. I had finished what I had set out to do. I was reminded of the quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson, "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."

Mind over matter.
Mind over matter.
Mind over matter.

Comments

  1. Running has never been something that I could do successfully - my sinuses do not enjoy it so I gave up trying decades ago. I'm glad that you kept it up though! It is a great feeling to finish the goal you set out to do :) I liked the repetition of "mind over matter" as well, it's a good mantra for working out if something is challenging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been doing it on and off for years! It's something that I always end up coming back to. It does feel good to meet goals!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts