A Teacher and a Learner - SOL 2021 Day 2

 "Glady we Learn and Teach"

That is the motto of my alma mater. I can't tell you what year it was founded, what the Fight Song is, or even the name of the current President - but I'll always remember the motto. 

It's only been two years since I graduated from college, and I can't tell you how many times I've thought to myself, "They didn't cover this in class." There was no Work/Life Balance class, no Strategies For Keeping Up With Grading, and definitely no Teaching in a Pandemic 101. 

More than anything, my college education did not adequately prepare me for the bonds that I would create with my students - especially my 7th graders.

I teach at a small Christian school, and I teach multiple subjects for multiple grade levels. With small class sizes and seeing the students several times a day, I get to know them pretty well. My 7th grade students are the ones that have me sitting at my laptop in tears today, though.

With a class of 12, the students are less like classmates and more like siblings; when one hurts, we are all hurt. We've had a tough few months. The students have faced some very difficult circumstances that, when I was their age, I don't know how I would have handled. 

Through all of the trials this class has faced this year, I have watched them hold up their heads with perseverance and grace. They have rallied around each other, lifted each other up, and carried one another's burdens. They have taught me more about Christian character this year than I could have ever hoped to teach them. They are leaders. They are strong. They are resilient. 

I have taught them over a hundred lessons this year, but they've taught me the most important lesson of all: to carry the torch of hope is our greatest responsibility. 

Comments

  1. Aren't kids amazing? I am sorry they are going through such hard times - and I am glad they have each other and you. Stories like this remind us all of how much kids teach us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, kids are amazing! I'm so glad that I get to teach them and learn from them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts