It's Not Another Hallmark Movie - SOL 21 - Day 4

 I am 24, a middle school teacher, and unmarried.

If your first reaction to that statement wasn't, "Oh bless her heart", then you've never been a twenty-something unmarried middle school teacher. 

Oh, but don't worry - there is a male, twenty-something, unmarried middle school teacher whose classroom is down the hall from mine. We'll call him Mr. Perfect because, in the eyes of the students, he is perfect for me. It makes sense if you really think about it...

I am short, he is tall.

I like coffee, he likes coffee.

I'm a teacher, he's a teacher.

I'm unmarried, he's unmarried.

Pay no mind to our personalities, backgrounds, communication styles, or inner motivations - I think that the list is pretty conclusive: we're soulmates. I mean, if Hallmark has taught us anything it's that the only things that truly matter in a relationship are prolonged eye contact and a mysterious connection to Santa Claus. Now, I'm not sure if Mr. Perfect's family tree has ornaments hanging from it, but we definitely make eye contact when we speak to each other, so you could say that things are moving pretty fast. 

If things keep going at this pace, the next thing you know he'll be asking me to pick something up for him in the copy room and in the same breath tell me he wants me to meet his parents. If he dares to be so forward as to stop by my room to borrow some poster board, I better start looking at rings.

Just today, a few of my 8th grade girls started to plan the Perfect wedding, so at least now I have a head start. They dreamed up a venue and a dress, and of course they made themselves the bridesmaids (they said I get to choose one of my friends for the maid of honor - how generous of them).

I rolled my eyes and laughed it off, but it'll be my secret to keep that I'd go to coffee with him if he'd only ask. 

Comments

  1. Oh how adorable those eighth graders can be! Loved the witty voice complete with asides and the turn at the end--your vulnerable heart--sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts