Same Me, Different Me - SOL 21 Day 5

There's nothing quite like driving into the neighborhood where I grew up after being away for a long time. Everything is the same, but different. 

Same street names, different buildings. 

Same houses, different neighbors.

Same me, different me.

I feel slightly disconnected when I'm "home"...maybe because it's not really home anymore. It's strange to feel like a guest in a place I'm so familiar with.

I reflect as I drive towards the peachy sunset. I think about high school, my friends who now live all over the country, and my family who is still here - all living within 5 minutes of each other. 

I laugh to myself as I drive over a now paved-over pot hole. That pot hole was where I got my first flat tire. 

-

I was going 60 in a 45. My car was full of friends, it was dark, and I noticed it too late. I pulled into a gas station to check out the situation. The guy in the parking spot next to me knew enough about cars to tell me that I could probably make it home on the busted tire. I certainly did, bending the rim in the process (which cost me $300). That was the last time I would ever trust a stranger in the Shell parking lot past midnight. He was wearing a Mardi Gras necklace in October and had 2 girls in his back seat. I should have known better.

-

I continue down the familiar streets, watching the buildings pass by. Some of the buildings are the same, but there are different businesses occupying them. Some buildings are remodeled, some are demolished, some are replaced. I sigh as I pull up to my grandma's house. Cars fill the driveway and line the street. It's a Friday night tradition: everyone meets at Grandma's for dinner. As I walk up to the house, the light shining through the basement window grabs my attention.

-

"It's me, I swear. I just need to take time to work on myself." I couldn't believe he was breaking up with me - here - in my grandmother's basement. 

"Well, I'm not going to sit around and wait for you," was my snarky reply.

"I don't expect you to. You're too good for me."

That was the last time I would ever trust a man just because he said nice things to me. He was wearing a sad expression, but he had 2 girls in his inbox. I should have known better. 

-

The shouts of "She's here! She's here!" when I walk through the door bring me back to earth. I smile. I'm home.


Comments

  1. "Same me, different me"-this is perfect! I can relate to that feeling. I love how you draw the reader in and then tell a memory that relates to your current experience. I really liked reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this walk down memory lane. It's amazing how a place that was so familiar feels so unknown. But home will always be home. Enjoy your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire how you crafted this post. The present and memory mixture fully captures my attention.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts